Sunday, February 14, 2021

A new mooring technique?

Tried something new last night!

The fairleads on the bow of this boat are really far forward. When we are on a mooring, no matter how long I make the tie-off lines, they will whack the anchor at some point. It’s awesome when you’re sleeping in the forward cabin. Sometimes I’ll run the lines outside of the stanchions and straight to the cleats (skipping the fairleads), and while it sort of works, it’s not perfect...it doesn’t look as tidy as using the fairleads. 

Last night, I went a whole different route—I flipped the anchor! With the blade pointed to the sky it couldn’t get hung up on the mooring lines, right? Flipping a 45lb anchor in a choppy sea was a good fitness test, but I got it! We had a VERY rocky, rolly, windy night on this mooring, but the one sound that I never heard? The anchor clanging around in the bow roller! 



Is it perfect? No. Would I do it again, especially if we were going to be on a mooring for several nights? Absolutely.

And after yesterday’s epic sail we are now motoring and pounding into seas to get south. Yep, that’s blue water over the bow!

No comments:

Post a Comment