Tuesday, June 1, 2021

EC—the Harbor of Hospitality (again!)

I’m sitting in my favorite coffee shop downtown as we wrap our semi-annual visit to Elizabeth City, North Carolina. If you haven’t been reading along with us, the Skipper grew up nearby so this stop, with its 48-hour (-ish!) free docks, makes it easy for us to visit friends and family. We debated skipping it this spring as the city has been reeling from a police shooting of a black resident during an arrest. Nationwide media had been on the scene and tensions were understandably high, but after getting an update from local friends we decided to come. I’m so glad we did. 
Lehe Paine tied up at the free dock at Mid-Atlantic Christian University

We didn’t stay long, but we did manage to see family and friends, restock the boat, clean the boat, hang out in the community, help mom around her house, and visit with other cruisers passing through. The boy and I marked Memorial Day with a MURPH workout at a local gym, I walked downtown almost every day, and the boys got their fill of Bojangles food!
This crew spans Frank’s youth (mom) and high school years (Jesse), our pre-kid years at the marina (Earl and Deb), and the post-Mrs. Jesse years (Rachel’s family). Great night with great friends!


MURPH with my boy and Rachel at No Limit Fitness—1-mile run, 100 pull-ups, 200 push-ups, 300 squats, and another 1-mile run!

Dirty work to get the car running, air gun fun, games, and good times with family and friends.


Geocaching along the Dismal Swamp Canal, exploring EC, and drinks around town.

And then the crew left and I stayed! Our car was here (with a flat and a dead battery, but we fixed it!) so I stayed an extra night and will slowly make my way north, staying on the boat when I can.
Our tiny home leaving EC without me!


This town is much like my hometown...similar size, working hard to accept the changing economy, an old downtown separated from the “new” strip malls, trying to bolster change and hold on to the past all at the same time, and for the most part full of hard-working folks that just want to live in a safe, prosperous town. And it, in my opinion, remains as a fantastic stopover for cruisers transiting the ICW.

No comments:

Post a Comment