Sunday, June 20, 2021

A Gneiss Upgrade

Back in May I mentioned a little update to our galley spice wall, but I wanted to give it some more attention. The original magnetic spice wall went up in 2012 (check out the original post, "Nice Rack!") and it worked quite well for us. While it originally held 18 round tins, we really could only get 15 to stay well on it. Over the years the tins rusted and were hard to open, were replaced, and then started to rust again. I decided to see if there was another way.

Enter Gneiss Spice, a Maine-based, zero-waste, plastic-free (if you opt out of jar labels) company that deals in exquisite, fresh spices and beautiful glass jars. Does that freshness matter? You bet it does! And usually glass on a boat is a no-no, but I decided to give it a shot and ordered a "test jar" of dried chili. The jar stayed on my magnet wall well and the spice was yummy so we went all in and ordered 12 more large jars and 7 small jars of spices. You can pick your own or order a culinary set, and all the spice names are hand-stamped on the lids. And the customer service is fantastic!

Even the packaging is beautiful!

My spices were pretty, even in the shipping box! We took in the aroma of each and I immediately started planning menus. I love that I am able to have so many more spices with the honeycomb of hexagon jars than I did before. In fact, I have some real estate to fill on the wall still. We've had a few offshore runs since putting these up and haven't had issues with them falling, so I think it's going to work. Super happy with this addition to the galley!

Love how this looks and functions. Can't wait to add more!


~Jo, 1st Mate


No comments:

Post a Comment