Tuesday, November 10, 2020

When size matters

Ok, fine—size matters in a lot of aspects on a boat (don’t get me started on the spare nuts/bolts box), but this time I’m talking about storage and clothing. Storage is a constant struggle on a cruising monohull with four crew...the food, parts, gear, books, clothing. 

When we lived in a house storing clothes wasn’t a problem. Even with my slew of military uniforms and our outdoor gear we never really pushed the limits of our closets, especially when we had a guest room! Once we moved aboard the boat we simplified our wardrobes a bit, my uniforms moved to our storage unit or my office, and we routinely purged items that don’t fit. 

Well...most of us purge items that don’t fit. After a recent bout of frustration with how some things were fitting I came to the realization that I was holding on to a wide range of sizes in my one drawer. In the house or pre-cruising I could get away with keeping the skinny, mid, and “more robust” wardrobes, but I’ve got to just let it go.


Today I ditched one of these sizes and bought another pair of jeans in the “right” size. I even got rid of a few shirts that were ok, but just not that flattering. I may wear the same few outfits over and over, but I’m getting better at making sure they are actually comfortable and compatible with boat life (sturdy and easy to care for). It’s a process!

No comments:

Post a Comment