Saturday, December 12, 2015

Heading south

I know, I know.  I said we would be in Jacksonville until Monday.  But that was before I was fully aware of just what Sadler Point Marina would do for its customers!  As expected, Chip reinstalled our shaft seal this morning, with a bit of help from David (who should have been off today).  Then the kicker--they called in another member of the crew to get us launched!  Wow!  We had to scurry to pick up wash and wax pails, but we didn't care!  The had us out and on our way by noon, with plenty of tide to get us over a sandbar by the Ortega River bridge.  

We have some weather to contend with Sunday into Monday, but for now we are a couple of miles off shore, making our way to Ponce de Leon inlet.  USCG has warned of a capsized vessel, multiple "lost" shipping containers, and right whales.  The watch rotation is set and the sunset was lovely!


Friday, December 11, 2015

Two-way delay!

So the water in the bilge was from a failing shaft seal.  While researching yards to get hauled out so we could safely fix it, we discovered that we were stuck in Jacksonville until Saturday anyway due to bridge maintenance!  This morning we made it to Sadler Point Marina and are now on the hard with the old seal removed.  They just couldn't finish the work today, so they will wrap it up tomorrow.  For the weekend, this is how we will live...

The area of concern... (See the water???)

And the worn-out seal...

Today is also our 11th anniversary!  Yeah!  We treated ourselves to a sushi lunch and dinner at Harpoon Louie's.  What's next?  Well, even assuming the fix is done tomorrow they can't launch us until Monday.  Sunday we will have to look at the weather and determine our options given that this has basically delayed us four days.  We aren't giving up yet!  Are we mad?  No--much better to find this trouble near a dock than out at sea.  You can't safely sail by a rigid schedule without some allowance or flexibility for mechanical issues and weather.  I'll take a few days in the yards with my spouse over an emergency at sea any day.



 

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Move time! Or is it?

After arranging kid care and taking 2+ weeks off work, we drove 8 hrs to Jacksonville to get back to our home!  With the fridge stocked and the rental car returned, we just needed to install the new nav light, maybe swap out a macerater, and figure out why there was so much water in the bilge!  Seriously, where was it coming from?  I got all the water out and we couldn't see a drip, so we started the engine--nothing.  Put it in gear--bingo!  The shaft seal was hemorraging water.  F.  F.  F.  Now what? We want to go, but with light winds the next 2 days we will have to motor.  There's only one thing we can do--wait until the morning and call yards along the river to see if we can get it fixed pronto.  If not, the plan will change!