Sunday, November 21, 2010

Bahrain

I've just wrapped my first visit to the Kingdom of Bahrain.  Like any good port visit, my time was split between eating and relaxing and little else.  The first night in town I went to an Italian buffet with some friends I used to work with in Mississippi.  This was not your Pizza Hut style buffet, but rather one with lamb, risotto, cured meats, cheeses, breads, calamari, pasta, and wine!  It was great! 

The second day was my "treat" day.  I lounged on the beach at the Ritz Carlton, sipping a beer and reading People magazine--a perfectly brainless afternoon.  I took a nice, long dip in the lagoon, too.  I could have stayed in there for hours.  With evening came another food extravaganza at a Rug Flop.  That's where a rug dealer brings a selection of rugs, teaches the group about them, then tries to sell them.  I learned a lot, but let's face it--fancy silk rugs really don't belong on a sailboat.  Instead I enjoyed the shwarma, hummus, and wine!

After a day of duty, my final day in Bahrain was a real treat!  I spent the day with my friend Sonja and her girls, Mia and Cecelia.  Mia and Katreina had been best friends back in Everett before they moved to Bahrain and it was great to reconnect with them.  We went to the mall and ate out (a rare treat for Sonja) and had ice cream.  Then back at their house Mia and I did crafts together and took pictures for Katreina.  It was such a great way to spend the day.  My visit to Bahrain was finished with a nice "girls night out" to dinner with Sonja.

It was a decent place.  I can't say I'd yearn to return, but it was alright.  Now, onward...

No comments:

Post a Comment