Friday, September 3, 2010

Happy Birthday to me!

After a slight delay in starting my leave yesterday, I got off work around noon and managed to knock out pre-underway domestic chores in just a few hours.  We've talked about getting me a computer to take on deployment (I really just wanted Frank to get a new one and give me the old one!) so that I can try to send pics home so Frank and I did a little shopping on base before picking up the kids.  Nothing there, so we hit Best Buy with the munchkins and got hit with TONS of options!  Frank ended up going with the newer version of what we have now (faster, thinner, lighter, sexier) and the kids scored new movies for enduring the trip with us.  And then we were off for a weekend in the San Juans!

We made it to Coupeville last night.  Based on the amount of motoring we may have to do (no wind) and the cold temps at night, we decided to hit their fuel dock to try to top off this morning.  The fuel dock wasn't open and wouldn't be for over an hour, so instead we fueled up on caffeine at Local Grown, a great little cafe right on the town dock.  Next up was slack water at Deception Pass.  While we were heading through we saw EA-6B Prowlers, F-18s, and P-3s flying around Whidbey Island.  Add in the whale and porpoise that we saw after the pass and it was almost like a day at the office! 

Tonight we are on a mooring buoy at the Obstruction Pass Recreation Area.  The beach here is really pebbly, but after kayaking ashore and going for a nice walk in the woods, the kids had a blast splashing around at the water's edge.  It was very cute.  Frank headed back to the boat to prep and drop a crab pot, and the kids and I came along in the tandem in time for dinner.  After birthday burgers Frank made a smiley face out of candles in a little cake and the kiddos helped me blow them out.  It was perfect!  To top it all off, we all paddled ashore again and Frank built a little fire in one of the campsites so we could have s'mores.  While it was getting fired up Katreina and I went on a little walk and found an awesome, west-facing beach.  The sunset was spectacular and I loved my time alone with my little girl.  It was so nice that we went back to get her brother so he could see it.  S'mores weren't really a hit with the kids, but marshmellows were!  It was a fun experience nonetheless and really made me want to go camping!

Frank did a great job finding this fun place to spend the night.  It has been a great birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment