Thursday, January 22, 2009

Back to Seattle

I'm on my way to Seattle now for our Survey/Haul-out/Sea Trial tomorrow. Great news- the mechanical inspector just called me and said that as much as he hates to admit it, he could find nothing wrong with the engine, transmission, or drive shaft. That means a lot to me. I've worked with plenty of inspectors in various types of construction projects and know the ones you hire for a specific inspection ALWAYS want to find something to justify their fee that you paid. So far it is looking like we got the great deal we thought we did. We'll see what tomorrow brings!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

2 Weeks???

After we returned to Louisiana Sunday evening, Jody and I began to realize how much we had to make happen in order for us to be able to close on time. Let's see...I'll work through Wednesday, and leave for Seattle Thursday around noon. Rick scheduled a mechanic to perform the Engine/Mechanical Survey on Wednesday. Then it'll be Survey, Haul-out, and Sea trial on Friday, with Saturday as a back-up day in case of very bad weather. Sunday I'll fly back and work a few days....then fly out to close on....hell I don't know if we'll get through the survey! First things first, right?? Our loan offer is contingent on the survey results, so there's nothing more I can do on that front right now, either. Rick is working with the listing agent to figure out how to handle the physical transfer of the boat. A big concern (for myself and Rick, anyway) is that I may get stuck with a Canadian VAT or GST (or some other SOB tax) if the purchase and transfer is not handled properly. As it stands right now, the listing agent will meet us at the border, and we'll transfer ownership at that time. But no one seems to know if we'll close at the border or as planned in North Vancouver, or if a transfer at the border is even necessary. Do I even have enough leave to make this happen?? No point in worrying about that right now, though, as everything is on hold until we get those survey results!!!

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Wrapping up the shopping trip and heading home!

Almost instantly our focus has shifted to all the work we need to do to seal this deal. Our closing date is soon—January 30th. Somehow we have to get an inspection and survey done and we have to be there for the survey/sea trial. Frank is taking all of this on (have I mentioned that I really love him?). Here’s the plan. The mechanical inspection will go down next Wednesday and the survey/sea trial is set for Friday. Frank will fly out Thursday and return Sunday, giving him an extra day in case anything goes wrong or the weather doesn’t cooperate. Tight!

We met up with Don today about subleasing his slip at the Port of Everett Marina. It’s a GREAT slip location…facing the water on Pier A and not far from the marina services. I think we’ll be spoiled here and will not fair so well when we get our own slip assignment!

Now, to watch the playoffs and get to bed for our early morning flight!