Sunday, December 14, 2014

My philosophy on butter rum cake

It was February 1, 2013.  It was cold out and we definitely weren't getting underway with all the ice in the marina.  What to do, what to do???  Ever notice how the Philosophy line of body washes have recipes on them?  Well, they do and I had always been a wee bit curious about that...were the recipes for real?  Hmmm...I had a bottle of Philosophy's Butter Rum Cake body wash, the wrong type of pan, and an oven that required a good deal of overwatch to maintain a steady temp.  Perfect for an experiment, right?

Ingredients:
1 pkg. yellow cake mix 
1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs
1/2 C water
1/2 C cooking oil 
1/2 C butter (softened)
1/2 C dark rum (Myers's works well)

Combine cake and pudding mixes.  Add eggs, water, butter, oil, and rum.  Pour into a greased bundt pan.  Bake at 350F for 1 hour.  Let cool.

Glaze:
1/4 C water
1 C sugar (I like raw sugar for this)
1/2 C dark rum
Crushed walnuts (optional)

Boil water and sugar for 5 min.  Stir in rum.  Glaze top and sides of cake.  Sprinkle with walnuts if desired.

So, how did it go?  Well, it wasn't pretty in my rectangle pan, but it sure tasted good!

It was so good, in fact, that I decided I needed a bundt pan as part of my onboard cookware!  The next time it came out yummy AND pretty!


And that, my friends, is my philosophy on butter rum cake!





No comments:

Post a Comment