Sunday, June 16, 2013

I did it! First Trek Across Maine complete!

Since most sailors like clean air, this post fits the blog!  This weekend I participated in the American Lung Association New England's 180 mile Trek Across Maine with about 2,200 other cyclists.  It had been years since I'd ridden and this ride presented a great way to get back into riding while helping a great cause.  I rode with two friends as part of the LL Bean corporate team.  The whole event was awesome, with great support from a dedicated crew of volunteers, wonderful views, and fantastic weather.  I can't believe I did it!  It was really just an amazing experience with a fantastic group of people.


There is an elephant in the room, or at least in my head.  About 45 minutes into the ride on the first day the girls and I witnessed a horrific accident that took the life of Trek cyclist David LeClair.  Even tonight I'm still not sure how we managed to get back on our bikes and get back on the road after that, but we did.  I think we were all hoping we would hear that somehow he was ok, but by the first rest stop news was spreading.  I was moved by the actions of his team, the Trek leadership, and all the riders.  Trek organizers are retiring the number he wore, and we all rode wearing red ribbons in remembrance of him today.  I doubt I will ever forget the sights and sounds of that accident, but I will also never forget the resiliency and determination of the Trekkers.
"Never lose sight of your vast ignorance."  D.L.

1 comment: