Monday, October 11, 2010

KL--Take 2

Yesterday I ventured back into Kuala Lumpur with my friend from work, Kelly, and her brother who was visiting from the states.  We started the day with the most amazing breakfast at the Ritz-Carlton--I had Malaysian coconut rice with lamb and tiger prawns, along with the usual pastries, fruit, coffee, and juice.  Stuffed, we headed to the Central Market to shop for trinkets and work on our bargaining skills.  While there we decided to follow the lead of several coworkers and go to the "fish spa," where you plop your feet into a pool full of doctor fish who nibble away at the dead skin on your feet.  As I'm crazy ticklish, especially on my feet, this was 10 minutes of sheer torture!  Kelly and I were laughing like crazy!



 From there we headed to KL's Chinatown to check out all the knock-off purses, shoes, DVDs, watches, perfume, clothing, you name it!  This is where great haggling skills are rewarded, but I don't really need a Jimmy Choo or Coach bag so I came away empty-handed.  We did go down a back alley where locals were chopping up various meats and veggies...even saw cats in cages there! 

The evening was spent with the rest of the staff to send off one of our shipmates in style and party at an event thrown by those of us who were most recently promoted.  It was at Luna, a rooftop/pool bar with great views of the Menora and Petronas Towers and it was really a good time. 

Kelly and I looking girly.

Petronas Towers just after sunset.

My final day in Kuala Lumpur was very low-key.  After another crazy good breakfast at the Ritz (this time I had some Malaysian rice noodle dish with eggs), I gave myself--body, mind, and soul--to the Spa Village at the Ritz-Carlton.  I began with a massage in the traditional Malaysian technique.  The strokes were long, the pressure firm, and I reached a point of total relaxation.  This is the first time I've had that type of massage and I would absolutely do it again.  After an hour of that, my facial began.  I almost fell asleep during that!  The experience ended with tea and as I sipped it I wondered if anyone would find me if I just hid there...  After the spa, Kelly and I headed over to the Petronas Towers (recognizable from the movie "Entrapment") for a little shopping and an up-close look at one of the city's icons.  It was a nice way to end the trip and while I'm not totally blown away by KL, it was a nice diversion from this little thing we call deployment.  It was so nice to be out with another mom, talking about how we really feel about being away from home, but it still doesn't beat being there.  I miss you guys!!!

Petronas Towers

1 comment:

  1. Glad you got a chance to relax for a bit. Massage & facial sound awesome. Great photos too! Love ya..

    ReplyDelete