Thursday, July 22, 2010

Tough decision

The past few days/weeks/months I've been struggling with what should have been an easy decision--whether or not to apply for a shot at a PhD in Oceanography via the Navy.  Free PhD, 3 years in Monterey, and a decent time for the family.  No brainer, right?  Well...I've been penciled in for a job in Suitland, Maryland following this tour and if I apply for and get the PhD, that job will go away.  The job itself is what I was after, and being in Maryland we will be within a day's drive of all of Frank's family and a reasonable drive to my family.  We will also be on the eastern seaboard, within reach of my friends to the north and Frank's friends to the south.  So which is more important?  Throw into the mix that we have a boat that we really want to continue living on and having fun weekend trips in, and this decision isn't really as easy for me.  Family is important to me.  I miss my own terribly right now and am excited about the possibility of for once being within reach of extended family.  I also think we'll be hitting the point where the kids and I need to step up our knowledge of sailing and the Chesapeake Bay will be more favorable for that than Monterey Bay (yes, I fear the Pacific and her hearty swells at my current level of experience).  At the same time, I really want to learn more about oceanography, but I can't exactly narrow down what exactly I'm interested in, but having a PhD would most certainly help me out in the future.  And it's also such a great deal that I know I'd be an idiot if I didn't at least go for it, 

Frank and I have talked a lot, and I've cried a ton, but I need to figure this out so we can just move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment