Friday, January 30, 2009

Ahoy!

We're officially the owners of a Beneteau 393 named (for now) Typhoon! Jesse and I are staying on board tonight. The closing went very smooth. Patrick will have to move a few boats to let us out of their marina/yard in the morning, and then we're off toward U.S. waters. Maybe we should check out the local pub first for a celebratory beer.. :)

Thursday, January 29, 2009

A whirlwind of activity!

Closing the deal on our boat purchase has given new meaning to her name "Typhoon"! I have really worked for 3 solid days to make sure everything is in order. I won't go into all the roadblocks, fortunes, and saves we had to go through. I'm just happy to be headed back to Seattle knowing that everything is ready on our end to close the deal. The seller is apparently having some troubles getting some last minute forms notarized, but I doubt that will hold this deal up.

You know, I never get missed connections from delayed flights. Never. (Well except the time my plane made an emergency landing due to the engine being on fire, but that's a separate story...) I'm just one of those lucky people. Well, today I got bumped to a later flight due to delays in Dallas, and then even missed my later connecting flight to Seattle! So here I am sitting at DFW waiting to board my flight. Jesse should be arriving at Sea-Tac right about now. I feel bad he'll be sitting there for so long. I left him a message and told him to drink copious amounts of beer. :) So much for going to bed early tonight. It's a full flight, but hopefully I can sleep on the plane. Please, please let a skinny, quiet (preferably mute), non-fidgeting, pleasant smelling person sit next to me!!! Yeah right...

Monday, January 26, 2009

Support from Friends and Family

With so much happening so fast it is nice to know people are there for you when you need them. Jesse is going to fly out to Seattle and help me take possession of Typhoon and sail her back to Everett. I wouldn't want to take the kids on the boat's maiden voyage in the middle of winter, and I really didn't want to sail solo the first time, either. I really had to twist his arm to go. :) I think the conversation went like this: Me- "Yeah so I'm not sure if your available or not, but if you're interes..." Jesse- "Hell yeah, I'll sail down with ya!" We should have a good time.

Jody's parents also helped us out. Part of our financing is coming from a CD that is maturing the day before we close. I called USAA, and they said that it may take a "day or two" to deposit into our checking account. In order to give us some breathing room, they're giving us a super-short-term loan (around one week) just so we can sleep at night knowing we'll have sufficient funds even if the CD isn't deposited immediately.

And trust me, we can use the help. USAA is great, but it has become obvious to me that they don't do boat loans much, and certainly not for what we are asking! Sometimes I feel like I'm telling the representatives what to do next! At least we got the whole Canadian tax issue worked by biting the bullet and going through a customs broker. It is adding about $750 to the deal, but it is money well spent if we can be assured of not paying CAN taxes and clearing customs easily!

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Another step closer!

I'm heading home after a very successful weekend in WA and BC. The survey and sea trial went great. Rick picked me up from the Navy Lodge around 6 am, and we headed north. Our survey was scheduled for 10 am, so we should have had more than enough time to get there. Unfortunately Rick's GPS was acting pretty squirrelly, so we ended up taking the scenic route and getting there right on time.

Phil, our surveyor, went straight to work, first with the interior and then the topside. It was also nice talking with Brad and Pat, who really know Beneteaus. Every time I talk to them I learn something! Then came haul-out, and the hull was checked. This was the moment of truth- my sole major concern was a report from the owner that the boat had "bounced off" some rocks once while in charter. I was extremely relieved when we all saw no damage to the keel!!

After that Typhoon was put back into the water for her sea-trial. Phil, Brad, and Pat left us, and Rick, myself, Scott (the listing agent), and JP, the owner of Westerly Yachts, went out for a sail. All week it had been foggy and dreary, but today the sun was shining and the temperature was nice! The only problem- we only had about 5 kts of wind max! We did raise/lower all the sails except the spinnaker, and tried out the engine at various RPM's. I was amazed at how easily Typhoon handled, and how FAST she was (for a sailboat). I called jody on the way back in and let her know the good news: we'd be boat owners in one week!

We got back very late Friday. On Saturday I went to the cabin to check on things. The cabin was in great shape! Much better than I hoped it would be, really. The recent heavy rains and floods has washed out our steps in two spots, but I did spend the rest of the afternoon clearing the rest of the path up. I'm concerned about a mini-slide the occurred recently on the slope the cabin is near, but it is stable enough to deal with after we return to the area.

Time to buckle down and get things moving! The quick and dirty to make this all happen in a week- Phil will email the survey results Monday, then I'll send to the bank, get the loan finalized, set up wiring instructions once Marine Documentation Service gets the final numbers, set-up a customs broker, get insurance, and then fly back out in 3 1/2 days to close on Friday and take possession and sail it back to Everett by this time next week. Whew!!